Additional courses available by request. Instructors certified through ACA to teach up to L4 Swift water rescue. Email Stephanie@blueridgeadventuremed.com
ACA: Level 3
River Rescue and Safety
Date: September 21, 2020
Location: Near Roanoke, VA - exact location depending on water levels
Course Overview: The River Safety and Rescue workshop teaches recognition and avoidance of common river hazards, execution of self-rescue techniques, and simple rescues of paddlers in distress. Emphasis is placed both on personal safety and on simple, commonly used skills. Fundamental techniques for dealing with hazards that carry greater risks for both victim and rescuer, such as entrapment, and pins, also are taught. This course is aimed at whitewater boaters interested in learning fundamental river rescue skills.
• Promote proactive prevention of river accidents and injuries.
• Develop and practice key self-rescue skills.
• Identify and avoid river hazards by understanding hydrology, hazards, and river features.
• Focus on fast, low-risk strategies for early management of river accidents
• Practice methods for recovering swimmers, and loose boats and equipment
Contact Us to set up a course for your group!
Instructor training made possible by funding from Carilion Clinic Trauma Service, Carilion Clinic Dept of Emergency Medicine and Carilion Clinic Outreach