Additional courses available by request.
ACA: Level 4
Date: By appointment
Location: Southern WV, Southwestern VA, or Western NC
Course Overview: The Swiftwater Rescue workshop teaches recognition and avoidance of common river hazards,
execution of self-rescue techniques, and rescue techniques for paddlers in distress. Emphasis is placed both on personal
safety and on simple, commonly used skills. Fundamental and more advanced techniques for dealing with hazards that
carry greater risks for both victim and rescuer, such as strainers, rescue vest applications, entrapments, and pins, also are
practiced. Scenarios will provide an opportunity for participants to practice their skills both individually and within a
• Promote proactive prevention of river accidents and injuries.
• Develop and practice key self-rescue skills.
• Identify and avoid river hazards by understanding hydrology, hazards, and river features.
• Focus on fast, low-risk strategies for early management of river accidents
• Develop and practice methods for recovering swimmers, and loose boats and equipment
• Develop and practice more advanced rope-based and in-water skills
• Gain experience using the rescue PFD, and understand its strengths and weaknesses
• Utilize rescue scene management principles needed within a paddling group
Contact Us to set up a course for your group!